- Preview release only, test carefully before even remotely considering production use
- A tentative beta release of SGE 6.1 is scheduled for February 2007
- No official data for full 6.1 release; official release may have additional features or components
- A HUGE milestone with major new functionality
Read the official announcement here:
The most exciting new feature is a MAJOR step forward for the project and the product – a flexible system for implementing Resource Quotas. This feature is being developed to address at a minimum some of the biggest and most vexing configuration limitations encountered by the user community:
- Issue #: 74: — Supporting maxujobs on a per host level
- Issue #: 1532: — Allowing “max jobs per user” limits on a per queue basis
- Issue #: 1644: — Allowing per-user slot limits to be set within parallel environments (PE’s).
Long time participants on the SGE mailing lists will recognize the above issues as some of the most commonly reported feature and enhancement requests rising out of the user community. The developers and project leads deserve sincere congratulations for pushing this enhancement through. The specification document looks well thought out and will likely be the foundation for future clever resource quota methods used by SGE Administrators and cluster operators.
Other additions to the 6.1 snapshot include:
- Official support for Mac OS X on Intel and Linux on Itanium
- ARCo joins the codebase (as reported previously)
- The PDC patches supplied by the user community were accepted and now allow for better usage data collection on Apple Mac OS/X, IBM AIX and HP HP/UX
- Helpful scripts and documentation for Solaris 10 users wishing to use the amazing DTrace tool for bottleneck identification and tuning